Skip to Content

Notice of Marriage Questions

Step 1 of 5 Next: Index

Information about Giving Notice

A notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal document which must be given in person before a marriage or civil partnership can take place.

A notice must be given by each person no more than 1 year in advance of the date of your ceremony. The minimum notice period required by law is 28 days. Your paperwork will be valid for 12 months from the date of notice

The fee for completing a notice of marriage or civil partnership is £35 per person (or £47 per person if you are subject to immigration control).

Each person must attend the Register Office in the district in which they reside to give notice. If one or both parties are subject to immigration control, then both must give notice together in one district of residence. 

You can read more on the difference between a marriage and a civil partnership by going to

The ceremony can only take place at the venue you name on your notice so please ensure you attend your notice appointment with the correct information. If after giving notice you change the venue, you will have to give an updated notice of marriage or civil partnership with the same notice fees applicable for the new paperwork.  


© Zipporah Ltd.